Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Lists

I have recently discovered the joys of lists. From time to time I have written out shopping lists - and usually then left them at home!! However, lately in my drive to live a more organised life and to try and save some money I have recently embraced them a bit more.

I now keep a list on the fridge for the supermarket so that I can write things down as I use them. It has been really useful in cutting down the trips to the supermarket and not cluttering up the pantry with stuff that I couldn't remember if I needed.

But a big step for me is a to do list and menu plan. I have previously resisted both of these as not my kind of thing. I am a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl right? Not the type who needs lists everywhere. Well, that may have been the case but now that I am a parent a little more organisation is called for.

Last month I came across this weekly planner at Kikki-k and thought it would really suit my needs

It allows me to outline my week ahead and I also use it to plan what we are having for dinner each night.

I get my fruit and vegetables delivered each week in a box. I choose to get the box where they select the produce and I just take pot luck. I can access the list of what is in the box from a Friday although I don't get my delivery till Wednesday. I use what I am going to receive in the box to assist in my menu planning.

There is also a section on the right hand side listed "to do" which I have been writing all the things I want to achieve during the week (in addition to our activities/appointments). This is very useful to keep me on task and to also have the satisfaction of crossing them off as they are achieved.

I have been using this for about 4 weeks now and it takes me only about 10-15 minutes to fill out for the week. The benefit I feel has been huge and enabled me to feel a little more in control and ready to face the week.

I have also written out a schedule for housework. I find that having a set day for cleaning different areas has made a huge difference.

For someone that has always resisted these types of lists I will confess that my life has become a lot easier since I've started using them. How about you? Are you a list person?

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Just saw a link to your blog on FB.
    Yep, I'm a list kinda gal. I also do shopping lists and meals for the week. It would just be too hard to get home from work at 6pm and then be trying to work out what we'll have. I've found 3 mentions of lists on my own blog too. Actually, I'm wondering if I'm a bit obsessive about them now!

    http://ellyandmick.blogspot.com.au/2011/01/our-priority-list-moving-target-19111.html

    http://ellyandmick.blogspot.com.au/2011/02/preparing-to-go-list.html

    http://ellyandmick.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/i-think-im-list-kind-of-person.html

    ReplyDelete