Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Back to Basics

The last couple of days have not been the most pleasant in our house. B has had a few meltdowns and inappropriate behaviour over the last couple of days. We did have a fairly busy weekend and I am hoping that he is just a bit tired. My other option is that as he is nearly 4 he is about to hit the testosterone surge that apparently occurs around this age.

So tonight I am going back to basics. I am hitting a few parenting books that I have found useful in the past to refresh myself. I know that bad behaviours occur from time to time, however, it is also the way I deal with them and parent through this that really determines the outcome. I have a habit of holding on to my frustrations with his behaviour long after they are an issue. It is something I really need to work on and improve.

"Raising Boys" by Steve Biddulph and "Turning Tears into Laughter" by Lou Harvey-Zahra

I was very lucky that today was a lovely day so we got to spend a bit of time outside this afternoon which is always helpful when we are having a bad day.

I would love to hear your strategies for how you deal with bad days. What works and doesn't work for you and your kids? I am open to any ideas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment