Sunday, May 20, 2012

One thing leads to another.

In the name of good blogging I am about to make a huge fool of myself. I work at a school for students with physical and health impairments. Last Friday there was a dress up day to dress up as your favourite book/TV/film character. I also decided to get into the spirit as well as you can see from this photo:


This is a Lion Costume I made about 20 years ago for a fancy dress where I went as the Cowardly Lion from the Wizard of Oz. There were a whole bunch of us that dressed up as the entire cast. I always do hang onto dress ups as they come in very handy on various occasions and you can usually fit a small number of dress ups into a lot of common themes.

Anyway, that is not quite the point of this blog. When I was going through the suitcase which holds my dress ups I found quite a few things that I forgot about. The suitcase fits into the bottom of my wardrobe so it has not been on my list of things to go through in my decluttering efforts as it is tucked quite neatly away. I have moved twice in the last 3 years and it has just come along each time without really being gone through. It was always my intention to go through it but it was down the list of areas to tackle due to it being out of sight.

But since I had the suitcase out I thought it would be a good job to go through it (and the one that was sitting on top of it). There were a number of dress ups which have stayed there but I also found a few things that I had forgotten about and can be used or given away. There were some T-shirts that I had kept for sentimental value. Some I put into the bag to go to the op shop and some I have decided that I can just wear around the house as I do not have a sentimental attachment to them any longer. Some did go back into the suitcase and my intention is to cut them up and make them into a quilt as I do have an attachment to them still.

I also discovered the first quilt I made. I did a fairly good job at the quilt top, however, my quilting leaves a bit to be desired. I have kept it as it is nice to keep that first quilt so I can see how far I have come. It's also good to use as an extra blanket on a bed in winter.


Amongst my discoveries was a Spiderman fleece blanket and a Shrek doona cover that I had for a boy I used to look after for when he came for sleepovers. I had completely forgotten I had them but have now got them out to use for B. Very handy!

So after a quick last minute forage for a dress up I have found some useful things, got rid of more stuff I don't need and have emptied one of the suitcases. Not bad work I say.

I'd love to hear your stories of things that you find by accident - good and bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment