Monday, June 11, 2012

Kitchen Gadgets

I must confess - I am a big fan of kitchen gadgets! Unfortunately I don't have a big kitchen (either cupboard or bench space) so have to be really careful of what I have as some of these are quite bulky and take up quite a bit of space. I just thought I would go through some of my favourites that help me around the kitchen and make my life a little easier.


My slow cooker. I have come very late to slow cookers. We did not have one while I was growing up so I did not have experience with them. I also couldn't see how you could just leave it on while you are out and about during the day - didn't think it was safe. However, I have a number of friends who use them and one even said she couldn't understand how a foodie like me didn't have one!! I must admit after having one for the past year I am a convert. I can happily leave it on all day and not worry. I find it really useful for busy days or days where we are going to be home late and I need dinner ready as soon as we are home. It is also great to cook big batches of food to freeze for later. And the feeling of having dinner done by 9.00 in the morning is one I cannot beat!



And a perfect combination with a yummy slow cooker meal - fresh cooked bread. I don't make bread in the bread maker as much as I should. I do use it often for things like pizza dough, cinnamon rolls, hot cross buns and jam. I really should use it more often as fresh baked bread is so yummy.



My rice cooker. I love being able to just put the rice in, turn it on and know that the rice will be cooked perfectly with very little effort from me.



My ice cream maker. I got this many years ago and didn't really use it, however, this last summer it got a real workout. B has issues with his kidneys so I really need to watch his sodium intake. Commercial ice cream is really high in salt so I made all of our ice cream this summer. It is great as I can do sorbet, ice cream and frozen yoghurt. I like that I know what is in it and can really experiment with different types. I even made tofu ice cream which was really nice.

Other gadgets I like are my food processor/blender, stick blender and my popcorn popper (great for a quick, nutricious snack).

What about you? Do you have a favourite kitchen gadget you couldn't live without? I would love to hear what makes your life easier in the kitchen.




No comments:

Post a Comment