Monday, October 1, 2012

When life gives you Lemons make...........

Last week I was lucky enough to be invited to spend a few days with a friend at her family's beach house. We had a great time and it was lovely to get away.

I also came back with a bag full of lemons from the lemon tree in the backyard. Nobody had been at the house in a while so the lemon tree was groaning under the weight of all the lemons.

I am lucky enough to have a lemon tree in my backyard but as I have mentioned before I gave the tree a really massive prune when I moved in 2 years ago and it's only just starting to produce fruit. I use lemons quite a bit in my cooking and B loves to just eat them as is! We have been lucky enough to get a lot from friends and I haven't had to buy too many.

So as I had a few extra lemons I decided that today would be a good chance to do something with them. With the help of the CWA I set about making Lemonade Cordial and Lemon Butter. Yum!!


I'm having trouble uploading photos at the moment so I can't show the photo I took of the finished products :-(

I am only new to preserving and making sauces, jams, etc but am really loving it. I'm looking forward to when my lemon tree is producing a lot more and making more of these goodies. You never know - you may get one as a Christmas gift! I'm also planning to give Preserved Lemons a go. If you have a good recipe I would love you to share!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jodie,
    I would be interested in your lemon cordial recipe. We are having a lemon sherbert(like gelati) craze as a way of using our lemon harvest. It has been our dessert all week.
    500ml of water, 3/4 cup of castor sugar, lemon rind from one lemon. Boil for 10mins, cool and then add juice from 3 lemons, refridgerate. Then use ice cream maker. Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiona, Thanks for that. The Lemonade Cordial is quite similar:

      Rind of 2 lemons, 1 cup sugar (I used a heaped 1/2 cup) and 1 cup water. Boil for 5 minutes then cool. When cool add the juice from the 2 lemons.

      Delete